I know that those with sickle cell have a hard time finding a career that allows for our absences, and I know that many people are struggling to find a position that does have support for them. It can be of help to give direction to our members as they seek to find jobs and careers with sickle cell.

In this discussion, answer the question...what is your profession? What is your title? What does your job entail? In other words... What do you do?

Also, if you are in school...please state your major and what your future professional goals are.

Views: 26

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I work in a hospital in Long Island on a medical ICU floor.
Your position as a nurse Traveler sounds interesting, Good luck in school Dec will be here before you know it.
God Bless
Hey Tracy,

MICU is intense! I used to work in the CCU but having multiple codes a week freaked me out! i so can't handle the adrenaline rush...lol. Now I'm working in the PCU (transitional ICU), the patients are more stable and I like that. Travel nursing gives me the flexibility that I need with time off. Although I don't get paid when I don't work...I don't have to worry about pissing off my employer or getting into a disciplinary action for being out sick too many days. I enjoy the flexibility of the scheduling, and can take months off between contracts. I just started work again this week (I was off the whole summer!). Although there can be uncertainty and you have to be a fast learner to thrive with travel nursing, I really enjoy it. I'm really glad you are part of the forum. I won't hijack this thread to whine about school...you're right, it's almost over~ I can't wait!
Hello,

before going to bed, I thought I would get in on this discussion. It seem like a great way to kinda introduce myself. I work for contracting company that handles public sector claims for Medicare. I wanted to be a nurse, and actually some ages ago had begun working on my prerequistes, however my first daughter passed away when she was 2. I knew I had SCD, but my ex husband did not know he had Beta Thallesemia + . Which basically meant we were never genetically compatible, and her life expectantcy was only 2 year. So now I have working on getting a cpc certification. (its kinda like being a medical accountant) I live by myself, and have no family in MD, so I am hoping to work from home, after attaining the certification.
Wow Novella, that is so sad to hear about your daughter. That must have been a really difficult time for you. Your story is a true testament of a survivor...never give up. It's cool that once you have your CPC you can work from home...do you like the numbers and coding aspects of your job? That's one thing I abhore...anything involving complex calculations razzes me out!
Hey SCW Sister:-) No quite the contrary with coding, it's the guidelines and classifications that get tricky. Since I am coming from a reimbursement aspect of the healthcare business, into a more specificity with anatomy; it's become overly challenging. I am saving to take a Saturday course, starting in Jan., 2010. I have found being a SuperHero with SCD is tiring, and I need an instructor to help keep me focused. Self-learning this course has been difficult. Until then, I will try to blog, (Miss SCW, how do you do it all?), practice Bass, and give Mariam hugs everyday. Hey you ever travel to MD. I may not have been Born in Africa, but I make a great Stewed Spinach and palintain :0)
I AM A UNIVERSITY PROFESSOR WITH PHD
Holla@!@@

RSS

© 2024   Created by Ade Dotun.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service